Monday, April 5, 2010

Quotation 4 - Marianne Legato,MD, FACP

“Maybe he’s just not that interested in what you’re saying!”


Dr. Marianne Legato uses this statement to try and explain why a breakdown in communication occurs between men and women. She believes that if you want your man to maintain his side of a conversation than you had better choose a topic that will hold his interest. Legato’s beliefs for improving communication between men and women is to keep it simple and stick to the matter at hand.
I took this statement to heart because I frequently babble on to my husband about insignificant things that occur throughout my day. The issue here is that the response that I receive is typically – “uh ha, really, or hmmm. Nothing of any significance. I frequently want to reach over and check his pulse. However, there have been circumstances when he has gone into minute detail about garage issues that make me wish he knew the meaning of summerization.
With that being said I believe that when we converse with our spouse we need to have a little consideration for the subject matter to ensure active participation by both parties. If you don’t do a topic review for interest level, who is truly at fault if you do not receive the level of engagement you desire from you spouse?

No comments:

Post a Comment