Sunday, April 4, 2010

Quotation 2 - Cynthia Burggraf Torppa

"Studies indicate that women, to a greater extent than men, are sensitive to the interpersonal meanings that lie between the lines in the messages that they exchange with their mates." - Cynthia Burggraf Torppa

This statement is obvious to most of us. However, by stating it Dr. Torppa puts more credibility to her work on the communication differences between men and women. She focuses on "why we speak, not so much on what is said." She uses the quote as a way of saying that women are much more focused on the why than the what. Men will hear what is said, however they do not tend to digest the information. They only pick up what is on the surface. Women tend to dig deeply into their mates conversations and men skim the surface tending to cause misunderstandings in relationships.
I get very frustrated with my husband when he doesn’t seem to understand the deeper meaning of something that I am trying to tell him. Why is it we believe that our spouses should be able to understand the subliminal and read our minds? I for one would never assume or even attempt to believe that I can read my husband’s mind. Although after thirteen years of marriage, it does appear that I can state something and he will follow up with “you know, that’s exactly what I was thinking.” Is it possible that communication becomes easier after time? If so, is it due to experience or education, or just getting smarter in my old age?????

No comments:

Post a Comment